Translate

Wednesday 22 August 2012

FOQ Masterpieces!

Well - as always the Festival of Quilts lived up to expectations - wonderful quilts on display, there is so much talent within the quilting world, it is a joy to behold. There were many great stalls full of tempting fabric - I was fairly restrained and limited myself to a handful (large) of fabric which I knew would bring me joy and fun!  With a wee extra bit here and there......!

The first quilt I must show you is "Scandinavian Journey" from the Cowslip Workshop Team in St. Stephans, just outside Launceston in Cornwall - as some of you will know who follow my blog, Jo at Cowslip is a dear friend and this is the quilt she made for her niece Henrietta who lives in Norway:  the organic wool wadding was made from the wool of Jo's own sheep and it was quilted by Sandy Chandler who lives just down the road from Jo:

There were so many different quilts that caught my eye - so I will try and give a varied selection here for you to see: 

This Hawaiian style quilt was made by Pippa Moss, and is called Piilani after the greatest and best known King of Maui.  The hand applique and hand quilting are fantastic.  I just loved it.











I have many more to show you, but this will do for now - too many at once is overwhelming!

I left Birmingham late Saturday afternoon and drove on up to Nottingham to spend the next 3 days with my dear old Mum.  She has become very frail and confused, even more so than when I visited with her 10 days ago after her fall.  My sister and I have managed to get some care organised for her and someone will come in every morning now to help her get dressed etc.  She is not at all happy about this, but hopefully - fingers crossed - she will get used to the help and begin to accept it.  I realise it must be so difficult for her, she is a proud lady and has valued her independence.  But at 92 the time has come to let others who care help her.  It is very sad and stressful for us, her family, we just hope she can carry on living in her flat for some time yet.
I drove home yesterday evening through torrental rain - and the forecast is not good for the Bank Holiday weekend - typical!  My son Robbie and his girlfriend Nisha are coming down from London, so I am really looking forward to that. 

I will update with more FOQ pictures later - thank you for all your recent comments, all so encouraging - and a big Hello to the new followers of my Blog!







3 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I especially love that Hawaiian quilt -- the first one. I've always wanted to make one. I find Hawaiian quilts to be so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful quilts. I know how you feel about your Mom. I have a 90 year old Step-Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard pressed to decide on a favourite quilt(after Cowslip's of course). I feel for you and your family and your worry over your mum.

    ReplyDelete