Translate

Tuesday 15 July 2014

A finish and an eventful fun lunch!

I have so enjoyed making this little quilt designed by Jo Colwill at Cowslip- it came together so well, but can you spot the "deliberate - I think not" mistake??!!
In fact in this photo you can hardly see - but I broke my golden rule - measure twice, cut once.  I cut the middle piece of linen for the applique too small - just by an inch on the width - so, I sewed the piece needed back onto the right hand side, and to cover the seam I inserted some white lace.  So in fact it looks absolutely lovely, but I was very mad with myself until I thought of the solution - a seam would not have looked good.  And here is the quilt now on the chair on the stoop:
The garden at Ward Cottage is looking so lovely in the sunshine:


Today is my friend Lyn's birthday so off we went to Plymouth and I had booked us a table for lunch at my VERY favourite restaurant - the River Cottage Canteen.  There we were sitting in the glorious sunshine eating the most delicious food (the crab main course and then the apricot pannacotta were out of this world!!) when this very smart Bentley parked up outside.
When we were having coffee we asked our waitress if she knew whose car it was:  oh yes, it is for Prince Charles, he is here today at the Royal William Dockyard and will be coming through here soon! Well - how good was that!  And sure enough he walked through the restaurant and then out to where we were sitting:
He turned to Lyn and asked if she was having lunch, and she told him it was a birthday treat - so he shook her hand and wished her a Very Happy Birthday!  She was so thrilled.  We met another lovely Swedish girl and he spoke with her too - and here they are in this picture as HRH passed by.

And then he got into the beautiful Bentley and was gone - but what a surprise and such a treat to see him up so close.  It was all very relaxed, just a few tourists and onlookers but no heavy police presence, it was just great.  I could not have planned it better for the Birthday Girl.

Dot had her Baby Shower last Sunday - Fran (eldest daughter) organised this wonderful tea-party and I want to share the photos with you all:
Here is Dot wearing her beautiful flower garland headdress:
and eating one of the best cakes ever, made by Hemsley & Hemsley: (their new cook book "The Art of Eating Well"  is amazing - take a look!!):

And here is Dot with Maarten looking radiant and happy after her afternoon of fun:
So not long to go now - I will update with news - as and when!
Next week I am driving up to Nottingham for a couple of days with my dear old Mum, before driving down to London for the weekend.  Fran is doing a 10 mile charity run for Cancer Research on the 27th and I shall be there cheering her on.  She has been training so hard - I am so proud of her.  And I shall of course be seeing Dot and Maarten, along with my son Robbie and Nisha. A chance to catch up with my wonderful family, and maybe see some friends too if time allows.  Then back to Devon - until "Little Miss" arrives!!

I am about to start a new quilting project, and am cross-stitching every evening.  But tonight I must go and water the garden - my hanging baskets are looking thirsty.  I do so love these warm light evenings.
I trust all is good with everyone - thank you for popping into My Quilting Life.  Have a good week.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt. Love the blues and golds. A very exciting birthday surprise to see Prince Charles . The luncheon menu sounds wonderful. You live in such a pretty part of the world. My mouth is drooling over the chocolate Baby Shower cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are having lots of fun! How awesome to see Prince Charles! Love your beautiful cottage and garden. Enjoy the week. Looking forward to seeing all your stitching projects! You are doing better than me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your quilt finish -- beautiful! And Prince Charles! OMG! So exciting! That is the coolest! Love seeing Dot's shower too. She is glowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post Angie and how amazing that Prince Charles spoke to the birthday girl. I am sure I would have been completely dumbstruck! have a lovely time seeing your mum and catching up with your family, and making the most of this wonderful weather. X Cathy

    ReplyDelete