Translate

Tuesday 24 June 2014

It's that time of year again ......

Suddenly we are at Wimbledon - again:  where did that year go to!  I LOVE Wimbledon fortnight and will spend as much time as possible watching and enjoying the tennis.  When I was at school - we are going back a very long time I might add, 50 years ago!! - we had an amazing Headmistress who insisted that we sat in her study every afternoon and watched the tennis.  Those were the days of Maria Bueno etc. - that love of tennis has stayed with me ever since and I always think of the wonderful "Miss Hancock" when Wimbledon starts.  I am not sure it would be allowed in this day and age!
Anyway a good chance to cross-stitch whilst watching Nadal and Murray:  I am making slow progress on the Prairies Schooler Alphabet, but I am really enjoying it.
It is fun and bright and makes a change from my usual traditional samplers.  A B and C done and nearly finished F, so not too bad.
I went up to Nottingham last week and spent some quality time with my dear old Mum - she is doing well and is looking good:
As I spent the week up with her I had the time and opportunity to go over to Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire and spend the the afternoon with a dear elderly family friend whom I had not seen for a while.  We had a wonderful afternoon reminiscing and catching up on family news.  She took me to Petwood Hotel for afternoon tea.  This was used back in 1943 by the 617 Dambusters Squadron as their Mess, and the bar is just as it was then, and full of wonderful photographs and memorabilia.

In the small town of Woodhall Spa they have these wonderful memorials too.

It was all very moving but wonderful to see.
After my time with mum I drove down to Cobham, and managed to see Dot:  she is "blooming" and not long now until Little miss will be part of our family:  here she is looking at the quilts I have made for her:

Last night when we chatted Dot told me she had "packed" her bag, so she's ready to go!  I am so excited!
Official due date is 7th August, but we all think she will arrive sooner than that!
I have not started a new patchwork project since coming home, too busy cleaning the house and catching up on washing - and the tennis of course!  We have friends visiting this weekend who are over here from Australia so big effort needed!
Rod has been busy painting windows whilst I was not around - obviously all a bit too much on occasions!:


However my lovely friend Lyn has just finished a quilt, so to end this blog I will show you her admiring her beautiful piece:
Have a great week everyone, and once again thanks for popping into My Quilting Life,

4 comments:

  1. Hi Angie, I love how your ABCs have started out. I need to spend some time focusing on mine too. There always seems to be distractions! lol! Your Mum looks so sweet and happy. Nice to see that she is feeling better! Wonderful quilting by you and your friend. Enjoy Wimbledon! It is my favorite time too so the next few weeks should be busy with tennis and World Cup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the PS alphabet! The quilts are wonderful too. How lucky that you can have a quality visit with your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely progress on the PS Alphabet! I have mine languishing in a bin. lol! Love the quilt your friend made -- so beautiful! Nice that you got to visit Dot and your mom both. Lovely pics of them! Hooray for Wimbledon! When I was young and watching, we didn't get to see much -- mainly the finals. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the quilts and seeing Woodhall Spa.

    ReplyDelete